Friday, February 20, 2009

juz when i want to sign out, my itchy fingers decided to post another entry. This time, direction-ed and focus. 

My faithful Dell laptop of 3 years exactly died on me on Monday. After posting the V-day entry and downloaded all the beautiful photos, it didn't even give me a chance to back up the photos and my lappie "died". I tried my best to stay calm and think of ways to save it, at least to bring it back to life for a while but I didn't succeed. I waited till darling came back and we both run tests according to dell website to find the problem and try re-starting the lappie in the "last good working condition" but still, the response was dead. 

NO choice, I called Dell up the next day and silly dell mentioned that I have to pay a good sum of $500+ to extend my warranty before they are able to provide any service to me. WTH! On top of that, they could send an engineer without a pass/license identity card up my house to take a look at the laptop which will cost me another $137+GST. Any diagnosis of the laptop problem and what needs to be done will be given to me in another $ quotation. I so wanted to scream at them and told them i am better off buying a new laptop and once bitten twice shy, even though dell is cheap but service sucks and they are totally a rip off, I will not purchase anymore of dell products. I reckon that with the warranty money and the engineer service fee, I can easily get an acer mini laptop which will still allow me to have leftovers since the laptop only cost $638nett! 

But because of the photos, i am in frantic help from friends. Thank God for louise who gave me the contact of PC zone at causeway point. She mentioned that the last time her pc died on her, they managed to retrieve her data and photos out for her. I will do anything to get my photos worth of a million years of memories back. So rang them up and brought my dell lappie down. The guy said can be done at just approx $70, I begin to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel. Agreed immediately, left the laptop there and came home. But the next day, the guy called and told me they could not revive the laptop because hard disk is faulty. But they can still try their best to retrieve all the photos but this time the price will be $80. Mind you, the previous $70 include the $50 of restoring my windows system and get the laptop back into working condition. But now, $80 is just to retrieve data. Haiz, what to do, no choice so i agreed. Now, I am still waiting for them to call me back. I am crossing my fingers and praying hard that they have already retrieve the photos successfully. 

So much for Dell. I am now considering if I should get another laptop, a mini one. But that will means no optical drive. Otherwise, just use dear's macbook for the time being. Another $$$ issue. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ah P,

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Seems that Dell is really bad, I'll not buy anything from them. Since I converted to iMac 3.5 years ago, I've no major issue with it. Apple has been reliable so far.

Hopefully you'll be able to retrieve your precious photos.

love said...

Hi Ernest,

thanks :) The pc shop called me and said that they have already successfully retrieved 90% of all my data. :) Now, I am thinking if I should get another laptop or just stick to the mac that GQ has.